American Gods - 2001
American Gods (2001) is a novel by English author Neil Gaiman. The novel is a blend of Americana, fantasy, and various strands of ancient and modern mythology, all centering on the mysterious and taciturn Shadow.
Released from prison, Shadow finds his world turned upside down. His wife has been killed; a mysterious stranger offers him a job. But Mr. Wednesday, who knows more about Shadow than is possible, warns that a storm is coming -- a battle for the very soul of America . . . and they are in its direct path.
One of the most talked-about books of the new millennium, American Gods is a kaleidoscopic journey deep into myth and across an American landscape at once eerily familiar and utterly alien. It is, quite simply, a contemporary masterpiece.
- Hugo Award for Best SF/Fantasy Novel
- Bram Stoker Award for Best Horror Novel
- Locus Award for Best Fantasy Novel
- Nebula Award for Best Novel
Description: xiv, 541 pages ; 24 cm
ISBN: 9780062059888
Form/Genre:Fantasy fiction.
Form/Genre:Fantasy fiction.

This was a struggle for me. I’m not much for fantasy and maybe it would have helped to be a fan of his Sandman Comics or TV adaptation. I accept the mix of mythological themes but the constant symbolism is irritating and the number of smaller sub plots is distracting IMO. I think the vehicle of old and new gods is original and the premise that gods and myths endure as long as people believe in them. Maybe like the magic of Cmas Santa! Overall it was a depressing and dull read for me and made me feel strangely dirty and psychotic. The coin as constant was essential as a coherent plot device. Shadow is aptly named as sub for reader absorbing this foggy mystery. I wonder at my aversion to eerie fantasy and horror. What does that say about me?
ReplyDeleteI actually enjoyed this book quite a bit more than I thought I would from the first few chapters, at least from a sociological point as opposed to being representative of genres. It is dark, violent, and has a lot to swim through in terms of plot, subplot, characters, background, etc. It also is an interesting look at what it means to be American, the mass of humanity thrown together from more established, more ancient cultures into an open, free, but unguided land and told to fend for themselves, largely with no ties to what they know but what they brought with them in terms of beliefs. Thus the old gods coming over only to be left to their own devices as knowledge of them faded; a very nice touch.
ReplyDeleteI also enjoyed the tying together of shared world religious themes and dogma showing a common human need for ritual and something greater even if it did take place in many forms. Much like how almost every major religion both present and past has a flood story.
Making a pantheon of all the world’s religions is going to require a considerable amount of side-stories, backstories, etc. and by in large, I found it handled well. The historical chapters showing the “actual” stories of immigrants gave a real world face to the supernatural and was a nice juxtaposition though I admit it could be jarring to the pace of the book. The identification of the new gods and assimilation of those unique people to a more homogenized, new system under the new gods of modern American life was poignant. How the act of modernizing and freeing ourselves of old beliefs system, superstitions, etc. in the name of knowledge and science is actually worshiping at a different alter. It seemed quite relevant when one thinks about the cult of Apple or the reach of Google for basic examples.
The coin did provide grounding as a symbol but also as a reminder that much of our societal organization is based on slights of hand. Not malicious but rather intangible agreements that all things are the ways they are and we agree that they are with no other basis. When things move in a different way it is not because they are not working the way we agreed on and are hardwired to be taken aback with the social contract moves in a different direction than the understanding we are imbued with. While many if not all of the people in the book were duplicitous, the idea of the coin worked as both a positive and negative symbol.
The book is also quite interesting in that it is a non-American’s reaction to living in America and experiencing what it is to go about daily life in an American fashion.
I am not sure if we are rating as those can change with time and reflection but I gave this one a 4 out of 5. Gloomy yes but a fresh approach to the human need for belief and answers that are bigger than what we are able to produce ourselves. A new approach to cultural transformation. Not an easy read for a variety of reasons but upon finishing it and thinking upon it, satisfying.
Your insight astounds me and challenges me out of my best seller trough. Your observations lend much meat to the bones of this acclaimed novel and help me to seek more. If I were grading, you would ace this course! That said, I may have been as put off by the literary painting of the descent of culture as I was by the dark mood which repelled me and kept me from further exploration. I especially appreciate, however, your extension of the meaning of the coin. The author’s use was brilliant and I had an ah ha moment when you pointed out our propensity to herd to a common acceptance of expectations...until reality throws a curve and we’re shocked. Somehow my visual goes to an undersea world with schools of different species swirling in agreement until a current changes. But what if we lacked belief in something wiser to anchor us? Is that where we stand today as we come to rely on our flitting and blind allegiances? What an excellent impetus for thought and discussion!
ReplyDeleteYou make me blush. I wish I got more from the book as I am sure I missed many things. It is not an easy read for sure but I do feel it rewarded me for digging beyond the surface. Reading the best sellers is a different exercise. Sometimes not the case but often the difference in reading for pleasure vs reading for challenge. A mixture is best of course as it is easy to fall into state of complacency with the former and burn out on the latter.
ReplyDeleteYou raise an interesting question about our lack of anchor. I think actually more now than every that the assumed norms of behavior are in effect. It is red or blue, black or white, etc. It is a big reason that compromise seems to be a lost art as you have to have firm opinions and those opinions define everything about you and your lifestyle. Anything out of the ordinary and you are largely written off in terms of social perception. The interesting part about it is that the majority of people are probably not so cut and dry or at least I would like to think but the societal pressure and expectations force them to declare one way or the other. Old gods or new gods. I read a good article on the Florida students' movement and why it is powerful is because it is acting outside of those norms.
It truly is a jungle “out there.” Could it be that whatever we designated as the more powerful god force, by whatever name called, held us in check by moral rules and threat of consequences, much as laws made by man intend? And once we relinquished that authority and became beholden to noone, we formed into tribes for protection and validation? Even the gods of old mythology guided society by stories told and fear and even by hope that good would come to him who obeyed. Such has it been for religions though time, but that isn’t so bad. In fact it maybe the boundary force that keeps us in check. We have free will and capacity to better the world if allowed to be creative and open to the best of all ideas. But there must be boundaries that keep us from trampling each other. I think that has to come from something greater/wiser/ more tolerant than us. The new gods of technology certainly don’t have best interest of humanity. Organized religion has turned me off with its own exclusion and politics and distortion of spirituality. But I can’t conceive of the fear and emptiness I’d feel if our society of warring people were all there was. Your article on Florida students sounds interesting & relative to our conversation if you can send a link.
ReplyDeleteI did scratch off the first square! Was surprised it wasn’t the coin.
https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2018/02/we-should-all-take-a-lesson-from-the-stoneman-douglas-students.html
ReplyDelete